Friday, April 3, 2020

Liam Schema Builder 1 - Trumpet


S Custom 2 TR-8337S Bb (B-flat) Trumpet - Shop Trumpets For Sale ...
With some of the excessive time I have had in isolation, I decided it would be a good idea to learn trumpet. I’ve been pretty successful so far, meaning that I think I could play at a middle school level. This started with Mr. Hilborn’s march madness challenge, in which I endeavoured to play as many parts as I could. Since my brother plays trumpet there was a horn readily available, so that was the logical choice. After the first week, I thought it was pretty easy. I was at a good beginner range, low G to high G, and despite being a woodwind player was advancing rapidly. After the second week, I had discovered a newfound respect for higher level trumpet players. Advancing beyond a mediocre level on trumpet is hard. It takes a lot of time and practice to achieve. Whenever a trumpet player complains about their embouchure hurting, I won’t think poorly of them at all. Despite the effort and pain that trumpet can be at times, it comes with some benefits - it is fun to play and you are almost guaranteed to have the melody. Adding it has really filled out my instrumental repertoire, and leads me to a question. What instrument do I learn next?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! My brother also played the trumpet and was very good at it. I tried, but could never get the hang of it. Despite playing various woodwinds for 12 years, I was never a great musician, though I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete