Thursday, February 20, 2020

Alanna 9: Scary Indecisiveness

Making plans and thinking about my future has always scared me. Since I was young I had huge plans for myself that consisted of an ivy league school, becoming a world-class proclaimed doctor, and having the perfect family. Little did I know, I couldn't get that all.

I remember when I was 8, I looked up the best veterinarian school in the country and UPENN came up. For a good 4 years since then, I was set on going there until I turned 13 and discovered this great thing called acceptance rates. I saw that theirs was a solid 9% and quickly hopped off that train. I started to think more realistically when it came to college and my future in my freshman year of high school. I knew I wanted to go into the medical field, but I also wanted to have a family, so therefore a surgeon was out of the question. Not going to lie I based most of my fantasies off of Grey’s Anatomy and worked from there. I dabbled around with an orthopedic surgeon, radiologist, anesthesiologist...etc. Around the beginning of my sophomore year, I became very interested and motivated to help people with cancer. To feed this motivation, I began sewing headbands for children with cancer at Children’s Hospital Of Philadelphia and from there I decided I wanted to become a Pediatric Oncologist. I had a love for children and wanted a way I could help the ones that were not as fortunate as some us to be healthy. My whole family encouraged me to not go into this profession and suggested MANY other careers I could take up but I was adamant on this one. They were scared, which I understood, about the emotional turmoil it has one someone to see everyday children that are sick and dying. My view on it is that, yes there are many children I will not be able to help, but the one I can and the feeling I get from that will be worth all the turmoil leading up to it.

Just at the beginning of this year, I realized and feared I may not have the motivation or work ethic to go the full 8/9 years of schooling to become a doctor. I still have not yet decided on this because all I have ever seen myself going in life was to undergrad school, medical school, residency, doctor. Nothing else. So thinking I might be wrong is scary and I am still coming to terms with that. I know for a fact, I want to work in a hospital or doctor's office, on my feet, helping people. I do not know though if I want to spend half my life in school when I also want to be finding an s/o, starting a family, and having a life. Right now, I am trying not to stress too much on the indecisiveness of the process because I know I can go into school majoring in pre-med and deciding where I want to go with that after I get a feel for different things.

Do you know what you want to be when you're older?
Image result for doctor


3 comments:

  1. It's good that you are recognizing your interests and connecting them to careers to build a career path. Especially as a freshman. Most people now including me have no idea what they want to be. I struggle with decision making as well. Good luck on figuring that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the extra school, health care is a continually growing field to work in with great rewards and I can definitely see you as a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you probably might know, my older sister, Katie is a doctor. She went to school to become a pediatric oncologist, but during her residency she did find it very saddening. She is now a pediatrician at Lehigh Valley Hospital. I think the job would be very rewarding. Although, you would probably witness the worst of times, you are incredibly strong and I think you would definitely make a wonderful doctor.

    ReplyDelete