Thursday, February 20, 2020

Emma 9: Shopaholic

Emma 9: Shopaholic 
Summer clothing has always been my favorite because of the bright colors and cute styles. As spring and summer begin to approach, there have been sales everywhere on spring/summer clothing. I’ve also been working as many hours as possible, so I’ve been able to spend a large portion of my money on clothing, jewelry, makeup, etc. My family has been joking that I am a ‘shopaholic’ because every week I’ve been going to stores buying things with my friends, online shopping, or shopping with my family. Although I’m not actually a ‘shopaholic’, it is a really bad habit of mine. When I’m bored sometimes I make random, unnecessary purchases. It’s gotten to the point where I will spend hours just scrolling through clothing store apps, getting ideas on what to buy next. 
Because I realize how negatively online shopping and shopping a lot in general impacts the environment,  I sometimes worry about my own shopping habits. When I order from online stores, each item comes in a separate plastic bag inside of the huge bag that all of the items come in. This quickly can add up to a lot of unneeded plastic.
To try to reduce my carbon footprint, I’ve been looking into other methods of shopping such as online thrift shops in which people sell the clothes they no longer wear or never wore in the first place. I haven’t physically been to a thrift shop myself yet, but I’ve seen many influencers throughout social media partake in ‘thrifting’. Thrifting also seems interesting to me because you can find one of a kind items that no one else has. How are your shopping habits?
Image result for online shopping carbon footprint pictures

3 comments:

  1. I have also been trying to cut down on my shopping! I love buying new clothes and shoes. This past weekend, I went though all of my shoes and clothing to donate what I don't wear anymore. It really made me realize the sheer amount of stuff I have! Even though I love shopping I am trying to cut down, since as you mentioned it is just creating more waste. I keep seeing articles about how bad the fashion industry is for the environment. As trends change people buy more clothing, and discard almost new articles of clothing only because they're out of fashion. Changing my shopping habits is definitely something I'm working on as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the mall with one of my friends this past weekend, and I was shocked that summer clothes are out already!
    When it comes to my shopping habits, my problem is that after an hour of clothes shopping, I usually don't want to try anything else on. I don't know how else to describe it but exhausting. I don't mind walking around with my friends and waiting for them to try stuff on, but if I'm looking for clothes, I get so tired. On top of that, I'm also super picky, so prom dress shopping was quite an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I can also be considered a "shopaholic" because my favorite thing to do is go to the mall. I'm not much of an online shopping person because I like going into stores to try on clothing and accessories. Also, I feel like it is easier to make unnecessary purchases online since it's so quick and easy to do right from home. Recently, I've been trying to cut back on my shopping habits due to my concerns about the environment. I enjoy thrifting because it's better for the environment since it's like recycling clothing, and it's cheaper,and you can find more unique pieces. I try to buy less "trendy" clothing items because I know they will most likely go out of style quickly, and I wouldn't want to wear them any more.

    ReplyDelete