Monday, December 9, 2019

MeiLi Van Hise 4- The Mandela Effect


A few weekends ago, my friend Morgan and I hosted a friendsgiving. We spent the ENTIRE day cooking food, setting up the dining room, and most of all stressing out over every single little detail. It was a blast. In the final moments just before people arrived as we were putting the chicken nuggets in the oven (because we’re teenagers and naturally chicken nuggets trump a turkey) and many dishes were keeping warm on the stove, she looked up at me and with a burst of every asked me if I thought it was a good idea to play Left, Right, Center when everyone arrived.
I said of course because who doesn't love that game? She went into the other room and came back with the tiny box so we wouldn't forget about it later on in the night (which we did… oops…). She then turned to me and said,
    “Did you know that it's actually called Left, Center, Right?”
I asked her if maybe it was just a knock off brand because that couldn’t possibly be right, my whole life it's been Left, Right, Center. She then explained to me how her mom said the same thing, until they googled it and found out that ALL of the games were titled “Left, Center, Right” in that order. 


And that’s where the real fun began… She whipped out her laptop and searched “Mandela Effect Examples” in the google search bar and clicked this link:
As it turns out, there are many many things that are widely known as one thing but in actuality they are called/mean/have different qualities and names. This conspiracy originated, and got it's name, when Nelson Mandela died in 2013. Mandela was a civil rights activist in South Africa who was arrested in the 1980s and sent to prison. However, many people all over the world recall him dying in prison when in reality he lived for over 30 more years. The premise of the concept, as described by the New York Times is “a recent refinement of false memory that typically refers to pop culture or current event references.” I highly encourage you to check out the link and even do a little research on your own. It’s absolutely fascinating to me.

   

8 comments:

  1. I love reading about the Mandela effect. Although I'm not sure if I truly believe in it, it does fascinate me and is fun to read other stories of what people have experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welp, now in the midst of reading blogs I had to go take a 10 min detour through the link you posted... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait what. Since when? I refuse to believe that it is Left, Center, Right. Situations from the Mandela Effect amaze me like did you know that the monopoly man never had a monocle? I went though the link you attached and no joke, was looking through it for 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew about the Mandela effect but I had no clue that that's how the name originated. I still think it's crazy how people can create so many false memories without even realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read several articles and examples about the Mandela Effect, and it blows my mind every time.I could have sworn the Skechers brand had the letter “T” in it (spelled (Sketchers). Another scary example is the fact that there are pictures of the statue being gone on Liberty Island. There is also a painting and some photos with the statue on Ellis Island instead of Liberty Island. The whole concept is insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOOOOOOL UP IT'S DEFINITELY SKETCHERS

      Delete

  6. The Mandela Effect breaks my head to be completely honest with you. If my life depended on it, I would have told you that I grew up reading the Barenstein Bears books and Berenstain is a typo. But apparently, Mandela has something else to say. Wild stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mandela is weird yet so interesting. It's so crazy looking at all of the different examples, it just took me down and endless rabbit hole.It just blows my mind how all of these little misremembrances happen all the time.

    ReplyDelete