Thursday, February 6, 2020

Julie 7 - Decisions

Just this week I went to my first ever lacrosse open field after I decided to join lacrosse. It was a decision I have been thinking about for a good amount of time and finally made a choice. Why I made such a decision? I don’t even know the answer to that question. I just knew that I wanted to so I joined.

Looking back at other decisions I have made I notice a sort of pattern when it comes to major life-changing decisions. I never really know why I made them.  There will be the randoms reasons I give other people when they ask for justification, but I, myself, never truly know why I made the decision.

For example, in seventh grade, I made the decision to go scout camping in Poland for the first time with people I never met before. When people ask why I made this decision I usually say that it was to improve my Polish or to beef up my college applications. These seem like reasonable excuses and please those who ask me, but they are not the real reasons why I joined. The thing is that I wanted to start Polish Scouts, so I did.  The above excuses are just some positives that came out of joining.

When people hear, “I just wanted to join/do it,” they do not take it as a good enough reason. Most of the time the decision made does not affect the people asking, yet they pry for reasons. My belief is that everyone is just overly curious and nosy. Though everyone should know that they don’t have to explain to anyone why a decision was made. Even if the people asking say that your reason does not make sense, if it makes sense to you it’s good enough. Other people do not have to understand your justifications for a decision you made.

What is the biggest decision you have made without having reasoning other people believe is good enough?



3 comments:

  1. This year, I scheduled 5 AP courses - Euro, Lang, Psych, Calc, and Physics. I still have no clue as to how I thought this could possibly be a good idea. Whenever asked, I tell people that I took what sounded interesting, get told that I'm crazy, and have a great excuse to get out of most everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think I could ever understand how you make decisions without any actual reason. For most of my decisions, I weigh the pros and cons to both, and it takes me forever to reach a consensus. The other night it took me at least five minutes to figure out what candy I wanted to get from Sheetz. It’s important to be able to make decisions on your own, without other people’s opinions, so that you can understand what you really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand what you're saying. People often ask me why I made decisions about numerous things and it's hard to explain to them one specific reason. In reality it's just a bunch of factors that weigh in to my decision making process. Excuses for a response and reasoning can get easily mixed up.

    ReplyDelete