Thursday, February 6, 2020

Liam 7 - Getting a phone

Getting a Phone

Before January 17th, I did not have a phone.

Ever since middle school, my peers and even some teachers have given me “the look” - not only because I was phone-less, but because I was the new kid and a year younger to boot. Inevitably, age would come up as a topic of discussion, or there would be a point in a class where the teacher would say “use your phones”. All of a sudden, the room would go silent as everyone swiveled to look at me. “The look” wasn’t one of meanness or derogation, but of pure incomprehension. Here I was, already different because I had recently moved, the youngest in the grade, without a phone, in a group of people who have had phones since they were ten. I was totally unprepared. These weren’t the type of person I was familiar with, and they confused me as much as I must have confused them. These were people who can hardly remember life without a phone aside from the constant desire for one. People that panic at the thought of being separated from their phone for more than five minutes. People that would rather scroll through Instagram than read a book.

I found myself almost alone, disconnected from everyone because I was lacking a palm-sized tether to the world. Only almost alone because I had friends who appreciated live conversation and the ancient ways of emailing. For most of middle school, I constantly felt ostracized and that if I could only have a phone, all my problems would be solved.

Now, at 15 and a Junior in high school, I got a phone. I would say that I am better off for waiting. I was forced to make plans (especially for rides) in advance and not change them, lest I risk the ever embarrassing use of the teacher’s phone. I was never remotely shackled to my parents. I learned to be responsible, punctual, and earned my parent’s trust early. I never was, and don’t plan to be, involved in the dramatic mess that is social media.

Having had my phone for three weeks now, I still don’t see why people consider it a necessary item. I haven’t been in a situation where it would be vital, and I almost never see people in a situation where they need a phone - the major exception being a car crash. They don’t even seem to be that big of a convenience; sure you can always contact people, but you can be contacted anywhere. I see phones more as a harness than a resource.

As gratifying as texting friends may be and as happy my parents are that they “never have to worry again”, I feel that when I got my phone, I lost some of my freedom and privacy. I did so much without a phone. I went all over with the band (including Disney World), I went to friends houses, rehearsals, and field trips. I made it up to semester two of eleventh grade. All that time, I was blissfully isolated, and I am thankful for that. What are your opinions on the best uses of phones and how they have influenced you?

4 comments:

  1. This was pretty interesting to read. Technically, I currently have a phone, but I have to share it with my brother. I don't like the idea of having to share a phone because I really don't have much privacy and I can't really personalize it because it's technically his phone too (and I can't download apps on it since it's outdated). So, I really want my own phone so I can personalize it to my needs.

    I think having a phone is good for setting reminders and creating a to-do list. I personally can't remember everything that I want/need to do, and since I would have my phone everywhere I go, my phone could remind me to do something no matter where I am.

    Phones can also be good time-killers, but that can be a bad thing if you have important work to do. That's one of the only reasons why I'm fine with not having my own phone yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, sadly enough, fall into the category of someone who has had a phone since they were 10 or 11 years old. I originally had a flip phone that was only used to tell my mom when I was home and off the bus since she was at work and I didn't have a baby sitter. But somewhere over the last 7 years, it turned from a necessity into more of a source of entertainment. I know I could survive without my phone and it wouldn't be a big deal to me if I didn't have one, but I would never choose to go without it. I realize more and more as I grow up, especially with the freedom a car brings, how spontaneous my phone allows me to be, and I really enjoy that. It surprisingly enough allows me to be more in the moment because I can change plans and let my mom know, or make plans to pick someone up to run errands with me two minutes before I leave my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think phones are just a common thing people take for granted nowadays, including me. It was really cool that you highlighted all the accomplishments you made w/ out the phone and took the opposite opinion on social media/ phone usage. I hope it becomes everything you need or want it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed you mentioned how you completed the band trip to Disney with out a phone. As someone who was in your group, I can confidently say the whole operation would not have worked as well as it did if the rest of us were in your phoneless position. Take for example, the online map of the park that included live waiting times for each of the rides. Or perhaps the ongoing text conversation with our Disney-enthusiast friend at home who was telling us the best rides and places to eat the whole time. Or maybe the constant Remind updates from Mr. Hilborn on when and where to meet up for attendance and such. Yes, you did not have a phone on that trip, but the rest of us did, and you would have been constantly out of the loop if not for that. Basically what I'm saying is maybe don't be so quick to write off your phone as a hindrance before you go back and think of all the times it could've made life easier.

    ReplyDelete