Thursday, February 6, 2020

Joe 7: 450 Words of Me Being Pessemistic

There are two things to consider about me before reading this blog post. One, I consider myself a reasonably optimistic guy. I prefer to spend my day-to-day looking for that silver lining because being depressed all the time is, well, depressing. And two, both of my parents are medical professionals. Med School-graduated stethoscope-wielding people fixers.

Alright that’s cool and all, but why have I decided to tell you about these two seemingly-unrelated facts? Well, put simply, the start of this new semester means I’m starting a class that completely upends every expectation you may have about a guy with these two traits.

What is that class you may wonder? Let me hold it over your head a bit longer while I paint you a mental picture. Imagine a kid with two medical parents. Sounds familiar. Now imagine that same guy, except by some cruel trick of nature he cannot stand the sight of blood. Or bones. Or really anything more graphic than a scraped knee. Couple that with a workload of several AP classes and you’ve got an idea about where I currently stand in life.

So with all of that in mind, what would you say is the worst class for me to take this semester? Probably a class that devotes extensive amounts of time to studying dissected organs, looking at medical diagrams, watching surgeries, and other excitingly nauseating pastimes. Maybe this class is notorious for having a college-level workload. Perhaps a course where, by the end of the second week, you’ve already had to cut open a pig kidney the size of a dinner plate.

So what did I decide to do? I took that very class.

Anatomy & Physiology Honors.

So, here I am. Staring down this monster of a class dead in the eye, with my stomach already churning. I took this class for the sole reason that I wanted to take my last science course this year, and this was the only one that would fit into my schedule. Already I’m starting to realize I bit off more than I might be able to chew (which isn’t much, as I find I lose my appetite fairly quickly come third block).

But despite all the panicking and the concern, this isn’t all bad. For one thing, body science does interest me to some degree, when I’m not gagging into a trash can. At the end of the semester, I’ll take my tattered pride and 65% average in the class and (most likely) be proud of myself for persevering. Still, it’s not gonna be a cakewalk, so I’m gearing up for the long haul and telling all of you about it.

Wish me luck homeslices.
Image result for skeleton meme

3 comments:

  1. Good luck!! Just an FYI, epithelial tissues are so confusing. Definitely failed the quiz, sooooo have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I would like to say that I love how you described your parents. I, one day, wish to be among the "Med School-graduated stethoscope-wielding people fixers." I haven't had the pleasure of taking Anatomy & Physiology as a class yet and am super excited that I will have the choice to next year. The only thing about the human body that grosses me out is the fact that people stick needles into themselves and I am slowly getting over this. I love the fact that as the human race we are able to understand how are bodies work. I think it is awesome to see what the different organs are made of and understand why they are that way. During the eighth grade field trip to the Franklin Institute, I remember holding up my entire group so I could watch a cow eye dissection. The entire time I watched with the intensity of a young child watching their favorite cartoon. I'll never forget that experience. I hope you slowly grow accustomed to seeing all the different body diagrams and such. Good luck with the class!

    ReplyDelete