Thursday, March 5, 2020

MeiLi Week 10- Shoes!! Art!! Yay!!

Recently, I've started painting shoes. It started when my friend Jack asked me to do something, anything, on his vans months and months ago. I started, and took months and months to finish them because I wasn't very motivated and I didn't know how much I would love it. However, a few weeks ago he asked me to do something fun on his Adidas Continentals. I asked him what he wanted done, and after talking for a while back and forth and exchanging ideas, we decided it would be cool to paint some of Michelangelo's most famous pieces. I was so excited about it that I went home and painted The Creation of Adam on my super old, super gross vans.
When sitting in history class the next day, our friend was wearing a Kid Cudi x Kanye West sweatshirt, and a new idea was born. I had the idea to paint the album cover on the outside of the shoe. Jack then decided that he wanted the Kids See Ghosts album on the left shoe and Ye, another one of Kanye’s albums, on the other. And that’s just what I did. It took me about two days to finish them, and I'm in LOVE with how they came out. I posted a picture of them, as well as the shoes I did for myself, and had people slide up on my story and ask me to paint theirs. 
I decided that I’m going to start doing custom designs for people as a small business. I need to figure out pricing because I don't want to charge high schoolers and close friends a ridiculous amount of money, and the cost heavily depends on the level of complexity of the design, however I'm very excited to start for real. I had one friend ask me to paint Sesame Street characters on his Yeezys and I love how they turned out, so this idea might just be a success! Has anyone started a small-ish business similar to this that has any tips? I could use all the help I can get. 

P.S. Here are some pics :)




3 comments:

  1. These are sooo cool! I think i'm going to ask you to paint some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing painted shoes everywhere lately, and I definitely am here for the trend. I think it's really cool to be able to make something so meaningful for people that they will actually wear all the time. I love how the Creation of Adam shoes look. You should definitely start offering to paint more shoes for people and charging them because you could make a decent amount of money from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome idea! I've been seeing the painted shoes trend and I really loved it and wanted to do it for myself, but I'm definitely not that good of an artist. You did such a good job painting them though! They look very professional. You'll have to let us know when you figure out all the little details and pricing cause I'm definitely interested in having you do a pair for me.

    ReplyDelete