Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Joe 1- Looking Back On My First Three Months of Driving


Image result for driving
August 30th, 2019 marked a day I’d been waiting to arrive for years. A day that had allured me with promises of freedom, maturity, and independence. A day where I would finally be able to take my life into my own hands and venture out into the world alone. For astute readers who have already read the title of this post, you know that this day was the day that I took my driver’s license test.

For months, my heart had been fluttering with suspense, ceaselessly waiting for the chance to earn that little piece of plastic with my face printed on it. In the last week especially, every clock in existence seemed to have been set to “sloth”. However, after endless anticipation and one of the most gut-wrenching twenty minutes of my life, I put the instructor’s car in park and he told me I’d passed my test.

I’d done it. 16-and-a-half years of waiting had culminated at this moment. I was ready to hit the road all on my own. Elated terror hummed through my veins as I gripped my steering wheel to leave the parking lot. As the car inched forward, I wondered to myself how this new freedom would feel.

As it turns out, it was everything I’d ever hoped it would be.

The change was almost instantaneous. I could drive myself to school, cover more shifts at my job, make plans with friends, and even just run to a gas station to buy a bag of chips and a soda for no reason other than “because I can.” I started to take advantage of Study Hall privilege and drive myself home earlier in the day. My mom needs me to drive to the store to get milk? I’m on it. Sister needs a ride to practice? She can ride shotgun. If this was spreading my wings to fly, I was in outer space.

That isn’t to say that there aren’t some drawbacks with being allowed to drive a pile of debt with four wheels and a gas pedal. For one, I finally understood why so many people are always angry at gas prices. Having to shell out 30 dollars every week knowing I’ll be doing it again before I know it does put a bit of a damper on my euphoria (and my bank account). Also being responsible for my own time management, a skill I notoriously lack, can lead to the occasional headache. Nonetheless, I still feel that there is some satisfaction to be found in supporting your own social life and it isn’t long before I find myself right back in my cloud of bliss.

So. Has driving changed my life in these past months? Absolutely. And it has done so in mostly-positive ways. As with all things, it has its pros and cons, but I think the payoff is worth the occasional downside.

6 comments:

  1. This was so interesting to read, as I found almost everything you had to say extremely relatable. I recently hit the two-month mark of getting my license, and I too feel that, besides gas, which is my biggest stressor at the moment, driving is the greatest thing since sliced bread (to me at least, lol). This was well written and I felt the emotions all throughout the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the day of my driving test and you're right, the time leading up to it went by so slow! Unfortunately, I can't relate to everything in your post since I don't have my own car yet. The bit of freedom though that I can get is amazing. I can't wait to buy myself a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with everything that you've said. As soon as you have your license it's like a whole new chapter has opened up in your life, and you can do whatever whenever. It's such a wonderful feeling to know that you have complete freedom (so long as you can keep up with the costs).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is honestly so much nicer to have the freedom to be able to do whatever you want to. The only downside I face is that I have to share a car with my brothers. Most of the time it’s fine, but it’s annoying when they take the car when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am super excited to get my license. My birthday is in late July, so it feels like I have been waiting forever (I have a countdown:78 days). Reading this post only made me more excited for the inevitable freedom of driving. However, it is nice to have many of my friends drive me around instead of having to pay for gas myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was very relatable and I agree that there was a big change. I was given a lot more freedom too, but I have to pay for gas as well so I completely understand where your coming from.

    ReplyDelete