Monday, November 11, 2019

Renee, 1; Rex Orange County's Sophomore Album; A Review

I had been anxiously waiting for October 25th to arrive for months, as I have been a fan of Rex Orange County's music for almost two years now. All of his music leading up to this album was a mix of Indie,  Alt-Rock, and some slower songs with a hint of R&B. Pony, Rex's second album, is the perfect medium of all these genres and seems to fit his voice better than any other work he's released so far. 

In my opinion, the best song on the album is one called "Pluto Projector." It starts off slow, and sounds a lot like his older music, and then transitions into a more "pop-like" love song. It showcases his vocals well and it is great to listen for any mood you're in. My least favorite would have to be "Stressed Out," only because it feels too much like pop and not enough alternative for me.

Overall, I would definitely recommend listening to Pony, especially if you aren't a fan of Rex Orange County yet. This is a good transition into older songs, as this album is more mainstream. If you like the bands Cage The Elephant and Foster The People, and even artists like Hozier or Steve Lacy, you will definitely like his music. 

He is also going on tour to perform various songs from this album, and after listening I think I will be buying a ticket. The shows tend to be more low-key, but as he gains popularity they may open up to bigger venues.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't listened to this album yet, but I definitely listen to it soon. I don't listen to Rex Orange County a lot, but some of their songs are really good like Sunflower and Corduroy Dreams. I like other artists that are sort of similar to his music type like Boy Pablo and Daniel Caesar, so I think if I listened to him more often I would enjoy his music more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to a few songs by Rex Orange County accidentally and liked them. I never really thought of giving them another listen. I do like Cage The Elephant so next time i'll make sure I listen to more of his music.

    ReplyDelete