Sunday, December 15, 2019

Emma 5 :My hamster

About a year and a half ago I bought myself a hamster without my parents knowing. Throughout my childhood I had many pets. I had two dogs, many fostered kittens/cats, fish, hermit crabs, etc. By the time I was around 10 years old, my mom realized that she was the only one taking care of all the pets. She put my dog Maybee up for adoption and refused to let me or my sisters get any other pets unless they were fish. At the time I was very upset because Maybee and I were best friends, and I loved to play with her all the time. I understood why my mom put her up for adoption when I got older, but I always wanted a pet to care for. I asked my mom many times if I could adopt any pet, but she wouldn’t budge.
Eventually, I decided that even though my mom didn’t want me to buy a pet, I was going to do it anyways. My friend’s brother drove me and my friend to the pet store. I asked the worker at Petsmart for recommendations for a pet. She said the sweetest animal they had was a Winter White Syberian hamster named Walter. I watched her interact with the hamster and decided that Walter was the animal I wanted. You have to be 18 to adopt a pet from the pet store, so my friend’s brother signed the form for me.
Once I had brought my hamster home, I made a home for him with a large bin that I found in my attic. I also picked out the name Oliver (Ollie) for him. I had kept my hamster in my closet for about a month before my mom discovered it. Surprisingly, she wasn’t that upset with me for lying to her about getting a hamster.
Ollie is now a very spoiled and cute member of my family that everyone loves. I keep him in my room and play with him every night. He’s also very fat because everyone in my family feeds him treats all the time.

2 comments:

  1. That's funny you kept him a secret for that long. My little sister also has a pet hamster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute little guy. I can't believe you managed to hide him from your mom for so long!

    ReplyDelete