Monday, April 13, 2020

Schema Builder 2 VanHise- Journaling

Prompt: Write in a journal every day for two weeks (and then write your reflection on the experience).

I started journaling on and off in the 6th grade after my mom let me go to Barnes and Noble and pick out a journal. My whole life I've been oddly obsessed with journals and sketchbooks, and to this day I can't leave the store without spending at least 10 minutes staring at the huge wall of journals they have by the checkout area. Journaling has never been a consistent part of my life. I go through bursts of time where I'm writing every night, and then months go by without a single entry. About a year ago I decided that each night I would write down one insignificant happy moment in my day that I didn't want to forget some day, and I kept up with that journal for months.
However, these past few months (probably 6-7) I've started writing in my notes. I have a locked note, and whenever I have something to say, I log in, type in my password, and write whatever is on my mind. To anyone else it would make no sense whatsoever. It's jumbled, confusing, and all over the place, but it's my raw thoughts. It has its ups and downs, and includes song lyrics and poems randomly placed in. I don't write in it everyday, but sometimes I'm jotting my thoughts down multiple times a day.
I've found that this mismatched form of writing, that makes sense only to me, is comforting in a way. It allows me to see me without any filters, and it allows me to be honest with myself in a way I haven't been before. It shows me how I've grown and how my thoughts have changed over time. I've learned through this that its important to document happy moments as often as the sad ones, if not more. I've learned that my most insignificant thoughts and ideas mean something about who I am. It's allowed me to figure myself out a little more.
If you're someone like me who has a thousand thoughts and emotions that are sometimes hard to grasp, or your thoughts fly by at the speed of light and you never get the chance to truly think about them, then try this. Let it be messy and unorganized. When you read it back it'll make sense, I promise. And if it doesn't immediately, eventually it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment