Monday, January 6, 2020

Emma 6: College Visit in Philly

Over the winter break, I went to Philadelphia with my aunt who I only see once or twice a year. She is majoring in anatomy in North Carolina and is going to become a physical therapist, so she spends almost all of her time studying and working. She went to Temple for her first two years of college, so she wanted to be able to give me a tour of the city and her old campus.
I wanted to be able to look at colleges there because I haven’t visited any colleges in Pennsylvania. Last year I was very set on going to California for college, and I went there for my 16th birthday and looked at a lot of them. Although some of them looked like colleges I would want to go to, I recently decided I want to stay close to family while I go to college.
 Before visiting colleges in Philly, I thought that I wanted to be able to go to college in the city and potentially live there someday. However, I realized that I don’t actually really enjoy the city as much as I thought I did. I was looking into possibly going to Temple before, but now I am very certain I won’t be applying for school there.
I wasn’t originally planning on visiting Arcadia University, but it ended up being my favorite college that I saw. It was the most beautiful college that I’ve ever seen. It reminded me of a castle with all of the old stone buildings and open fields. I really loved how there were gazebos and gardens all over the campus. Statues were etched into almost all of the buildings. Because it was winter break, I wasn’t able to get a true feel for the atmosphere there or talk to any advisers, but I will be visiting it again to make a final decision.
I also visited Drexel and Upenn. I was not a fan of Drexel’s campus because it was intertwined with the city, and there wasn’t enough nature scenery for me. Upenn was better than Drexel because it had walkways through the park and other grassy areas.
After walking around all day, we went to get lunch at the place where she used to work in college. It was a really fun day, and I’m happy I decided to go with my aunt because I got to spend a whole day with her and get more of an idea about what colleges I would like to go to.


No comments:

Post a Comment