Monday, January 6, 2020

Owen 6: Touring the Midwest

Over Christmas break, I was fortunate to see and tour many states the comprise the midwest including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. My trip began on December 26th, 2019 and went until January 2nd, 2020 so a total of a week. Throughout the whole week, I got the whole Wisconsin experience from my cousins who live there, tour downtown Chicago, visit South Bend, Indiana to visit the University of Notre Dame and stay a night with some family friends in Cleveland, Ohio.

My trip first started with a 15-hour continuous drive to a small town called Spring Green, Wisconsin. The population comprises of about 2,000 people and is about a 45-minute drive to the state capitol of Madison. This is where my cousins live. While I was there we toured around Madison, visited a beautiful winery, and spent family time bowling, walking around the city, and back at home.

From there we drove about 3 hours south to the city of Chicago, and to put it shortly I loved it there. It's a very big city with many things to do. My family and I started by eating lunch at a famous Chicago hot dog franchise called Portillo's then walked around downtown, walked out to Navy Pier and rode a big Ferris wheel, and then topped it off with authentic Chicago Deep Dish pizza from Lou Malnati's. Although this was only a one-day excursion it was my favorite of the trip.

At this point it was New Year's Eve, so we decided to celebrate like any other person. In a small hotel just outside of South Bend, Indiana.. oh wait that's not how anyone would decide to spend there New Year. Anyway the next day we woke up and walked around the University of Notre Dame. It was really cool here but I still like Penn State and Ohio State campus more.

Finally, we ended our trip by staying with some family friends the day before our week-long tour of the United States Midwest!








2 comments:

  1. Honestly, one of the biggest takeaways from this post was you mentioning the Chicago Deep Dish. I went to the city myself a few summers back and had some myself (which was phenomenal). Not a whole lot of other people have gotten that experience, so it's cool to read about. Otherwise, the trip sounds awesome and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip (even hotel New Years)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never done been in the Midwest, it sounds fun and those pictures are awesome.

    ReplyDelete