Monday, November 25, 2019

Kadison 3 - Frozen

I had been waiting for this very moment for 6 years. The time had finally come: Frozen 2 was out in theaters! My friends and I had already bought our tickets a couple days ago to make sure we all got seats next to each other. Friday afternoon, we went out for lunch at Red Robin and then proceeded to the theater. This may sound a little overdramatic, but my friends and I were practically bouncing in our seats with excitement. 

We all remember the first Frozen movie; I don’t think “Let It Go” stopped playing on the radio for the rest of the year. The amount of money Disney probably made off of merchandise is insane to think about. Frozen 2 did not try for another iconic song; even Idina Menzel (the voice of Elsa) said that “Let It Go” was simply “lighting in a bottle”. Although none of the songs were as catchy, I definitely still enjoyed all of them. Each song related to the plot nicely and had their own uniqueness.

There were probably two or three times while watching the movie that my eyes got a little wet. I won’t spoil it here, but the people who have seen it know exactly what I’m talking about. I found the movie to be a little darker and a lot deeper than the previous film, as Elsa and Anna had to figure out how to repair and rectify their ancestor’s past decisions. Throughout the movie, they search for the cause of the four elemental spirit’s anger, and eventually, the truth is revealed. 


[This next paragraph will include spoilers! Read at your own risk!] 
I think one of the most important lessons of the movie was the importance of following your own path. Elsa did not want to lose what she had going in Arendelle but realized she had to uncover the truth about the past. Elsa knew she had to follow the calling (quite literally) north. This leads her to journey (with Anna, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven) to the Enchanted Forest. After finding her parent’s shipwreck, Elsa understood that this next part of the journey north she must do alone. She followed the calling to Ahtohallan, a place said to hold all explanations of the past, and finally felt like she belonged and understood her true purpose. Elsa found out that her powers were gifted by the forest, and that she is the fifth spirit. Her (and Anna’s) purpose is to bridge the human and spirit world together. 
[The spoilers are over!]

I would definitely recommend watching Frozen 2. Although it was sort of cheesy (aren't all Disney movies?), the underlying themes are interesting and the plot does not follow one of those basic cookie-cutter patterns. The songs are also very moving and often include foreshadowing. At the very least, you can get some movie-theater popcorn and candy out of it!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the spoiler alert! I skipped that paragraph :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so excited to see Frozen 2 since I heard Disney was making it and after reading your review made me even more excited. The only other time I have been this excited for a Disney movie was when Finding Dory came out. Disney knows how to be make as much profit as they can. They release a movie then release a sequel 6 years later. This ensures that they have the interests of the initial young watchers(teenagers) and the kids now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to see Frozen with my sister last Friday night and it was a super last minute decision. She was so insanely excited to see it, but personally I was not. I just feel that once you make that solid of a first movie with a wrapped up storyline, a second movie with another different storyline is hard to make and seems very drug out. After all this, when I watched the movie there were a lot of parts that were genuinely funny and sad, but I still feel like the storyline was far strung. Besides that though, I believe the movie was very good, but not as good as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am seeing Frozen 2 soon, and I'm really excited to be able to see the sequel to the first one. My younger sister had a Frozen phase when she was 4 years old that involved her re-watching Frozen every single day for almost a year, so I wanted to be able to watch Frozen 2 with her. The movie sounds pretty good, so I am interested to see how my sister will like it compared to the first one.

    ReplyDelete