Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Liam 8 - District Band

District Band

Image result for pmea




This Thursday is the first of three days in PMEA District 10 band at Exeter township highschool. District band is a festival of non-stop music with 140 musicians culminating in a performance at 2:00 on Saturday. This year Alex Baver (Bari Sax), Gabe Louw (French Horn), and myself (Bass Clarinet) were fortunate enough to do well at auditions in December to qualify for Districts. The past few weeks have been a rush to prepare music in hopes of making region band.

Whatever the results Thursday evening, district band is an unforgettable experience. Alex and I were able to participate in it last year, and still talk about it as if it were yesterday. There are light years between our concert band, by no means a bad group, and district band, the best of Berks, Carbon, Lehigh, Monroe, Northampton, Pike, and Schuylkill counties. Over the three days together, the ensemble becomes more than an ensemble. By the concert we have been isolated, bonding over challenging music, and have a sense of camaraderie hard to find in a group that has been together for three days.

I have high expectations for the festival, as long as they don’t under cook the chicken again. I wish everyone had the opportunity to experience something like this. Hopefully we can pull through to regions, if not, there is always next year.

If you had the opportunity to learn and master an instrument (or a new one), what would it be? I would like to add the trombone to my repertoire.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for all three of you! Personally, I've always wanted to try the E-flat clarinet, just because it's tiny and I'm obsessed with tiny instruments right now. I really love the sound of french horns as well, so I think that would be fun to play too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bass clarinet was my jam! I would love the opportunity to play it again, but alas I don't own one. I was never good at the B-flat, because I really just wasn't that talented of a musician, but on bass I got to play some really interesting music that was within my range of capability.

    ReplyDelete