Sunday, February 9, 2020

MeiLi 7- Working as a hostess


Over winter break I got a job working as a hostess at Becks Land and Sea house. It's only pays minimum wage (bleh), but I enjoy my bosses and interacting with customers. Although, when it gets busy it is one of the most stressful environments Ive ever been in.
Last night around 6:00 the kitchen got very busy and we had to slow seating down. I don't know if you've ever worked or been in a restaurant's kitchen when the dinner rush comes in, but the energy is high, the stress is through the roof, and the kitchen staff is not always the most enjoyable to be around. Part of my job is to continuously go into the kitchen to see how many order tickets they have lined up and how they are doing. Im supposed to ask if they need us to slow down seating or get people in at a normal pace. Ive worked shifts before where we had to stop seating people all together for over an hour, even though they had reservations.
Most times people are very kind and understanding about having to wait for their table, however last night I had one lady who wasn't so nice about it. I remember getting that impression from her when I took her reservation on the phone 40 minutes prior to the time she wanted to come in. She ended up with a reservation at 7:15pm, however when she got there the waiting area was full of customers who still needed to sit down. People ended up having to wait for 30-45 minutes to be seated at their tables because of how backed up the kitchen was. When she walked in she gave me her last name and I said,
"Okay, it's going to be a few minutes before I can seat you."
She didnt say anything for a few seconds and then proceeded to tell me that she had a 7:15 reservation and it was currently 7:16. She also could see empty tables in the dining area and asked if she could just sit at one of those. I tried to explain to her that those tables were reserved and the horde of people standing behind her were waiting as well, but she didn't seem to want my explanation. She eventually said, with a huge sigh may I add,
"Okay, well I guess I'll just be standing over there. Do you see? Right over there. Right there." And I just smiled and nodded. About five or so minutes went by and I was getting a table set for a party of 4 that had been waiting to sit for a half and hour, and the table that I was preparing just so happened to be near where said lady was standing. I put the menus and silverware down on the table and she came over to me and began taking her purse off while asking if I was ready for her. I told her,
"Not quite yet, this table is for someone else."
At this point I was fed up with her. I told her there were still people with reservations from 30 minutes ago but she would be seated as soon as possible, probably 10-15 minutes. She took one look at me and gave me one of the nastiest looks I've ever received, and said,
"Well. Im leaving." and stormed right out the door. It's times like these that I think $7.25 an hour is not enough.
Moral of the story, please I'm begging you, is to be understanding if you ever have to wait for a table at a restaurant, reservation or not. I promise we did not forget about you and were trying our best.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, slowing seating because of the kitchen is the WORST. People do not understand that you *could* seat them at one of those empty tables, but then they'd wait an hour for their food and they'd be complaining about that instead... Sometimes I'm nostalgic for serving, but I'm glad my hosting days are behind me.

    ReplyDelete